Search This Blog







This movie is amazing! It's what they call a real "classic" and it's one of the best comedy movies ever.

Let me tell you some details about the movie;

It was directed by Billy Wilder in 1959. It's black and white, although they wanted to film it in colour, especially because of the make-up Lemmon and Curtis wore, they had to film it in black and white, which is very cool. Marilyn Monroe was pregnant when this film was being produced but she miscarried the child. After watching this movie, you understand why Monroe is called to be a "sex bomb". She really fits the character sugar, with her sexappeal, charm, beauty, innocence and with the lovely voice of hers. It's said in some resources that she forgot her words during the movie and Billy Wilder was angry, so he put some chalkboards around the set, with Monroe's lines. They also say that in the scene where Monroe is talking with "Josephine" on the phone, it is very obvious that she's following the lines from a chalkboard but who cares?

Tony Curtis, the father of Jamie Lee Curtis, the master in acting and the poet in Spartacus is incredible in his role. His funny accent when he plays the "Junior" and the part that he climbs down the balcony, how he cons the women are enough details to watch the movie.

But, Jack Lemmon is the best among these three! He's the funniest guy in the movie. The scenes with him and Osgood are talking or dancing are the best! He even leads the dance sometimes.

The drunk guy who says "Hey - I want another cup of coffee" several times and the hotel boy are also some Easter eggs of the movie.

And some of the best quotes in the movie:

Sweet Sue: "Didn't you girls go to a conservatory?"
Jerry (as Daphne): "Yes, for a whole year."
Sweet Sue: "I thought you said it was three years."
Joe: "We got time off...for good behavior."


(Jerry is dancing hysterically when he's giving the news to Joe)
Jerry: Have I got things to tell you!
Joe: What happened?
Jerry: I'm engaged.
Joe: Congratulations. who's the lucky girl?
Jerry: I am!
Joe: What?
Jerry: Osgood proposed to me. We're planning a june wedding.
Joe: What are you talking about? You can't marry osgood.
Jerry: You think he's too old for me?
Joe: Jerry! You can't be serious!
Jerry: Why not? He keeps marrying girls all the time!
Joe: But you're not a girl. You're a guy! And why would a guy want to marry a guy?
Jerry: Security.
Joe: Jerry, you'd better lie down. You're not doing well.
Jerry: Look, stop treating me like a child. I'm not stupid.I know there's a problem.
Joe: I'll say there is!
Jerry: His mother - We need her approval. But I'm not worried - because I don't smoke.
Joe: Jerry - there's another problem.
Jerry: Like what?
Joe: Like what are you going to do on your honeymoon?
Jerry: We've been discussing that. He wants to go to the riviera - but I sort of lean toward Niagara Falls.
Joe: You're out of your mind! How can you get away with this?
Jerry: Oh, I don't expect it to last. I'll tell him the truth when the time comes.
Joe: Like when?
Jerry: Like right after the ceremony.
Joe: Oh.
Jerry: Then we'll get a quick annulment - he'll make a nice settlement on me - I'll have those alimony checks coming in every month.
Joe: Jerry, listen to me - there are laws -conventions - it's just not being done!
Jerry: But Joe - this may be my last chance to marry a millionaire!
Joe: Look, Jerry - take my advice - forget the whole thing - just keep telling yourself you're a boy!
Jerry: I'm a boy - I'm a boy -I wish I were dead - I'm a boy - I'm a boy - what am I going to do about my engagement present?
Joe: What engagement present?
Jerry: He gave me this bracelet.
Joe: Hey - these are real diamonds.
Jerry: Naturally. You think my fiance is a bum? Now I guess I'll have to give it back.

Joe: Forget it, Sugar, will you? Forget about saxophone players. You're going to meet a millionaire - a young one.
Sugar: What makes you so sure?
Joe: Just my feminine intuition.

The last and the best scene: Nobody's perfect!
Osgood: I called mama - she was so happy sh ecried - she wants you to have her wedding gown - it's white lace.
Jerry: Osgood - I can't get married in your mother's dress. She and I - we' notbuilt the same way.
Osgood: We can have it altered.
Jerry: Oh, no you don't! Look, Osgood - I'm going to level with you. We can't get married at all.
Osgood: Why not?
Jerry: Well, to begin with, I'm not a natural blonde.
Osgood: It doesn't matter.
Jerry: And I smoke. I smoke all the time. (Idoatlasian says: check what he said before, see above)
Osgood: I don't care.
Jerry: And I have a terrible past. For three years now, I've been living with a saxophone player.
Osgood: I forgive you.
Jerry: And I can never have children.
Osgood: We'll adopt some.
Jerry: But you don't understand! (he rips off his wig; in a male voice) I'm a man!
Osgood: Well - nobody's perfect. (he's got this lovely smile on his face, like "I'm gonna find a solution to all of the problems, I want you")

0 comments: